Girls Scouts/Camp Fire - Mary, the First Disciple (Marian Medal)
- Registered Girl Scouts and/or Camp Fire Members of Catholic Faith. The Participant must be between 12-15 years old.
- The program is action oriented with a strong emphasis on reflective action. The program is designed to be done within a peer group under the guidance of a program counselor. The counselor plays a very important role with duties that may include coordinating the projects, leading discussions, and acting as a resource person.
- Each participant should have her/his own "Mary the First Disciple" work book.
- Need to have a Catholic Bible.
- When the youth has completed all steps of the book, the application form is sent to the:
Catholic Youth and Young Adult Ministry
Committee on Scouting and Camp Fire
PO Box 32180
Oklahoma City, OK 73123
- It will then be submitted to the Diocesan Chaplain for final approval
- The religious recognition should be presented to the youth at a parish Recognition Ceremony.
- Ideally, the youth will receive an invitation to be presented a certificate from Archbishop Beltran at the annual Youth Recognition Ceremony held in the Archdiocese each year.
- Interested in youth and ready to be generous with time in helping others
- Able to understand the youth's development process and therefore, able to accept them at their level
- Open enough to listen to youth to permit them to initiate, decide, try, and even fail, of their own accord. One who is not judgmental, but respectful of their feelings and views.
- Flexible and creative enough to be open to changes. One who can adapt and understand rapid and continuous modifications of youth ideas, modes, and cultures.
- Likeable and acceptable by the youth; not a stick in the mud!
- Has a sense of humor, enjoys life, and can laugh at themselves and with others, especially youth.
- Knowledgeable, understands, and agrees with all of the teachings of the Catholic Church.
- Communicates by relating the teachings of the Catholic Church to youth. Should be able to both speak and listen. Should also have the ability to get others to talk.
- Spiritually firm in their faith life and has the ability to share their faith openly and easily with youth. Also, should be able to demonstrate, through their actions, the importance of their faith life to youth.
- Sensitive to the youth's family situation and his personal life, particularly in regards to the teachings of the Church.
- Observant to interpret the signals youth project about their feelings on their faith and other issues.
- All facilitators/ counselors need to be approved according to guidelines established by the Archdiocesan Catholic Committee on Scouting and Camp Fire
- Church Safe Environment Curriculum guidelines must be followed
- Use the Mary First Disciple Counselor Guide.
- Counsel the participants when required and in general facilitate, (keep moving and on track), the general discussion.
- Guide the Participant through the religious emblems program by: Helping the Scout experience Mary's deep love for them as individuals.
Scout's Role & Responsibilities
- Attend all meetings. If a participant misses more than 2 meetings, it should be determined if the participant should continue with the program.
- Work through the Mary, the First Disciple Manual with your counselor using a Bible where appropriate.
- Support the Religious Emblems Counselor in his/her role.
- Support your youth as she or he shares lessons with the family.
Suggested Time Requirements
- The program is designed to be completed in about one year.
Chapter 1: Sacraments and Sacramental in our daily life.
- Section 2: The Sacrament of Initiation
Chapter 2: Baptism
Chapter 3: Confirmation
Chapter 4: Eucharist
- Section 3: Sacrament of Healing:
Chapter 5: Reconciliation
Chapter 6: Anointing of the Sick
- Section 4: Sacraments of Service (Commitment)
Chapter 7: Holy Orders
Chapter 8: Marriage