Archbishop Coakley Files Lawsuit to Halt Desecration of Stolen Host in ‘Black Mass’


OKLAHOMA CITY (Aug. 20, 2014) – In a lawsuit filed Wednesday in Oklahoma County District Court, Archbishop Paul Coakley asked a judge to halt the desecration of a stolen Eucharistic Host as part of a planned satanic ‘black mass’ at Oklahoma City’s Civic Center Music Hall.

The stolen consecrated Host, which was obtained illicitly from a Catholic church, is to be desecrated “in the vilest ways imaginable” as an offering in sacrifice to Satan. This specific satanic ritual known as a ‘black mass’ is intended as a deliberate attack on the Catholic Mass as well as the foundational beliefs of all Christians with the stated purpose of mocking the Catholic faith. 

“I have been heartened by the international and multifaith support we’ve received in solidarity against this public satanic ritual planned next month in Oklahoma City. While I continue to call on all Catholics, Christians and people of good will to pray daily for cancelation of the so-called ‘black mass,’ I have taken a legal step to combat this blasphemous and obscene inversion of the Catholic Mass,” said Archbishop Paul Coakley, archbishop of the Archdiocese of Oklahoma City.

“Catholics believe Jesus Christ is truly present under the form of bread and wine in the Holy Eucharist and it is the source and summit of our faith. The local organizers of this satanic inversion intend to use a stolen consecrated Host obtained illicitly from a Catholic church to desecrate it as a sacrifice to Satan. Through this legal action, I hope to prevent desecration of the Host and to have it rightly returned to the Church.”

Archbishop Coakley has made repeated requests for the city’s leaders to cancel the satanic ritual in a publicly funded facility, but has received no indication that the city intends to prevent the event from taking place.

“I have raised my concerns … and pointed out how deeply offensive this proposed sacrilegious act is to Christians and especially to the more than 250,000 Catholics who live in Oklahoma. I am certainly concerned about the misuse of a publicly supported facility for an event which has no other purpose than mocking Catholic faith,” the archbishop wrote in a letter to priests earlier this month. “I am calling on all Catholics of the Archdiocese of Oklahoma City to counteract this challenge to faith and decency through prayer and penance.”

Specifically, the lawsuit requests the return of the host as stolen property and a court order against its destruction.

Archbishop Coakley continues to call on the faithful to pray the Prayer to St. Michael the Archangel at the end of every Mass through Sept. 29, and asks that each parish conduct a Eucharistic Holy Hour with Benediction before Sept. 21.

On the day of the satanic ritual, if not canceled, the archbishop invites all Christians and people of good will to join him in prayer for a Holy Hour at 3 p.m. at St. Francis of Assisi Church, 1901 NW 18, followed by an outdoor Procession and Benediction.

“For more than 1 billion Catholics worldwide, the Mass is the most sacred of religious rituals,” the archbishop said. “It is the center of Catholic worship and celebrates Jesus Christ’s redemption of the world by his death and resurrection.”

For a copy of the Spanish version of the news release, click here.

For a copy of the Judge's Order, click here.